Restoring the oldest Colt course in the North of England
Tyneside Golf Club is the oldest inland club in the North East of England; formed in 1879 and still regarded as among the finest parkland courses in the region. Perched on the "Falls" of old Ryton Village, the club overlooks the beautiful Tyne valley and is only a short drive away from Newcastle. The course lies on sandy soil and as such is almost always playable, and in most cases it's fast and firm surfaces allows for many bump and run shots to be played.
The course is fairly good preserved, the last major changes were made to the course in the early 1960's, but over time many of the bunkers had lost their shapes and many fairways had become narrower due to tree planting in the past.
In 2011 the club retained IVGD to help them with a multi year restoration project for the course. First and foremost the goal was to restore the original Colt style, shape and positions of the bunkers on the course. But we also embarked on a process of restoring the original width of the fairways, which had shrunk over the years. And finally we tried to established short grass around the greens wherever possible.
The club wants to do the works as much as possible in-house, with the green keeping team playing a leading role in doing the construction and shaping work. This means that the process will take several years to be completed, and IVGD will be closely involved during this time.